Emergencies and Referrals
In case of a life-threatening or dangerous situation on campus, please contact BCC Public Safety at 718.289.5911 immediately.
You may also want to contact Personal Counseling 718.289.5223 to notify us that Public Safety may need our assistance with evaluating possible need for hospitalization.
If you are off campus and need assistance in a crisis, call 911 or go to your nearest Emergency Room.
If you are having suicidal thoughts or impulses, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.TALK (8255).
Reasons for Referral
Students are often self-referred or referred by faculty, staff or other departments. The reasons for referral are diverse and range from a mix of mental health and academic concerns, to developmental and transitional issues.
Individual counseling is offered in a confidential setting to assist students in achieving personal and academic goals. Some common issues that students may deal with in counseling include personal and academic stress, depression, anxiety, family issues, and trauma. Some students may come for counseling seeking personal growth and others for a single session consultation.
Faculty Making a Referral
- Call Personal Counseling at 718.289.5223 Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Escort the student to Loew Hall [LO], Room 430 for assistance.
- Ask the student to call for an appointment while still in your presence at 718.289.5223.
- To discuss concerns about a student, call or email Interim Coordinator, Vasiliki Torres, PhD, 718.289.5100, Ext. 3222.
- Students in Crisis Quick Reference for Faculty/Staff
- If you or someone you care about is in immediate danger, call 911. If you are on campus, call BCC Public Safety at 718.289.5911
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
In Spanish: 888.628.9454 or
1.800.273.TALK (8255) (Press 2)
- Crisis Text Line – Support for Teens
Text “START” to 741741
Free, 24/7, confidential
- NYC WELL1.888.NYC WELL
- Jed Foundation 212.647.7544
- LGBTQIA support 1.866.4u Trevor
- Veterans Crisis Line
1.800.273.8255, Press “1” and a trained VA responder will help you transfer the call to someone who can help.